This crunchy, crispy, sweet and salty, chocolatey and marshmallowy cookies is the perfect explosion of texture and flavor.
Full disclosure, this is one of those high maintenance cookies. Usually I like easy recipes that involve one bowl, minimal mixing, and just throwing the cookies in the oven. I find myself steering clear of recipes that require ingredients that you usually don’t have on hand (and therefore have to make an extra trip to the grocery store) or the ones that you have to chill for a few hours, or those that have recipes within recipes. I’ve had my eye on this recipe for a while, but didn’t do it forever because this recipe definitely fits the bill for “high maintenance cookie.” Reasons for prolonging trying these out: 1. I didn’t want to buy milk powder, and 2. Making the cornflake crunch seemed like too big of a commitment for me! Anywhoo, I finally got myself to not be lazy, and decided to do it, and boy am I happy I did. Turns out, it’s actually not hard and TOTALLY worth it!
Super easy to make – just mix crushed cornflake cereal, milk powder, sugar, melted butter, and salt. Bake and cool. Once that’s done, you just add it into the cookie dough. It adds amazing texture and a salty and nutty flavor that is definitely worth the extra steps.
I followed this recipe by Butter with a Side of Bread, and took all of their suggestions. So, if you want, head on over to that link and you can read about all the details of why little tweaks were made and such.
For the marshmallows, like I said, I followed the suggestions so I stuffed the cookies with marshmallows instead of mixing it into the cookie dough.
Literally everything about this cookie is perfect! The cornflakes make it nice and crispy, the marshmallows are chewy and creamy, and the chocolate chips and salt are perfectly balanced. What else could you ask for? TRY THIS COOKIE! It’s totally totally worth it!
Hugs & kisses and all my best wishes!
- 5 cups corn flake cereal
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 9 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temp
- 1-1/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups cornflake crunch
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- MAKE CORNFLAKE CRUNCH
- Preheat oven to 275F
- Crush cornflakes in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin.
- Add crushed cornflakes, milk powder, sugar, and salt to a bowl. Toss to mix. Add melted butter, and mix, creating small clusters.
- Spread mixture onto parchment paper or silicone sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- MAKE COOKIES
- Preheat oven to 365F.
- Cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar for 2-3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat for several minutes until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix just until dough comes together.
- Add cornflake crunch and mini chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.
- Divide dough into quarter cup balls. Stuff each dough ball with 2-3 mini marshmallows. Line balls of dough on parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate at at least 1 hour (or overnight). DO NOT skip this step! *(see note)
- Line cookie dough 4 inches apart of a parchment-lined cookie sheet* (see note). Bake for 11-16 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on baking sheet
- * The blogger whose recipe a followed stuffed marshmallows into the cookie dough instead of incorporating into the dough and insists on using parchment paper instead of a Silpat. I followed those suggestions, and was super happy with how they turned out!