This light and refreshing bowl of zoodles topped with a lemon ricotta sauce makes the perfectly satisfying, yet light and healthy meal that only takes a few minutes to make!
Zoodles, zucchini noodles, zucchini ribbons, spiralized zucchini, whatever you call them, they’re amazing. The great thing about zoodles is that you can make them with whatever kitchen utensil you have on hand. If you have a spiralizer, great! If not, other options include a box grater or vegetable peeler. The end goal is simply to get anything that somewhat resembles a noodle- they can be skinny, flat and wide, short and choppy- whatever you choose.
The first step is to give your zoodles a quick sauté. I chose to sauté them with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder for just about a minute. If your zoodles are on the thicker side, you may want to cook them a bit longer. Just make sure you don’t overcook them – you don’t want mushy zoodles; you’re aiming for an al dente texture. The other thing I will say is that zucchinis naturally contain a lot of water. If you add salt to them, they will release their water, creating a little pool of zucchini water at the bottom of your dish. That’s totally fine, and I actually found that it lent itself well to the sauce. However, if you don’t like the idea of your zoodles sitting in their own water, you have a couple of different options: 1. Eat the zoodles raw; 2. Pre-salt the zucchini, draw out all the water, and then prepare them; 3. Prepare the zoodles, wait for them to cool, and squeeze out all the excess liquid.
The lemon ricotta sauce is literally just ricotta cheese, lemon juice and spices mixed together. It cannot get any easier than that. Once your zoodles are cooked, just put a generous dollop of the sauce over the “noodles,” add some frozen peas for extra nutrition, and enjoy! How easy is that?
This zoodle dish is incredibly simple to make with only a few ingredients, and will take just a few minutes to throw together. It’s extremely light and refreshing – perfect for a hot summer day – but is equally satisfying. It’s one of those dishes that makes you feel really good about eating it. So go ahead, treat yourself to this nourishing meal – all you need is a few ingredients and a couple minutes! Hugs & kisses and all my best wishes!
- 4 medium zucchinis, spiralized* (see note)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté zucchini noodles (zoodles) with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/4 tsp garlic powder for 1-2 minutes, or until al dente.
- Place zoodles in a large serving bowl. Sprinkle frozen peas over the top. Set aside. You will notice some water pooling at the bottom of the bowl - this is expected and will enhance the sauce. Read above if you'd like to avoid it.
- Make lemon ricotta sauce. In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 14/ tsp garlic powder.
- Pour lemon ricotta sauce over the zoodles, and sprinkle red pepper flakes to taste.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
- Zoodles, or zucchini noodles can be made with a spiralizer, box grater, or vegetable peeler. Cook time will be dependent on how thick your "noodles" are.