Traditional rice krispie treats get a flavor boost with matcha, and are dipped in chocolate to make them extra special and delicious!
I’m going to admit something to you, but you have to promise that you won’t stop reading until you’ve read my explanation too. Here goes: I’ve never been a fan of rice krispie treats. Don’t hate me yet. The reason is that I was used to those pre-packaged ones; you know the ones that came in the shiny blue wrappers. Those are not yummy (sorry, but not really). I discovered a true appreciation for rice krispie treats when I made my own for the first time. Basic rice krispie treats are so simple – melt butter and marshmallows, stir in rice krispie cereal, let cool, and serve. My real obsession started when I took a couple bites of freshly made homemade rice krispie treats; you know when it’s still all hot, melty, and gooey. Right when you pour it out of the pan is the ideal time to consume as much of that gooey deliciousness as possible. Once I discovered how amazing home made rice krispie treats are and how simple they are to make, I knew I needed to make flavor variations. Thus was born this matcha creation!
One great thing about rice krispie treats is that the flavor possibilities are pretty broad. This time I chose to take my liberties with this classic treat by adding matcha and chocolate. Trust me when i say it was a great idea! I simply added matcha powder to the marshmallow mixture and then dipped the entire thing in chocolate. Such simple tweaks make a world of a difference, upgrading this childhood favorite into a wonderfully elegant and tasty treat. Plus, we know that matcha adds flavor aaand antioxidants, which basically qualifies this as a super food.
The matcha powder adds such a depth of flavor while the chocolate adds a wonderful flavor profile while making this usually ordinary looking treat extra beautiful. Give it a try, and I promise you won’t be disappointed! Hugs & kisses and all my best wishes!!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1-10ox bag marshmallows
- 3 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- Chocolate for dipping
- Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a large pan or pot over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir until combined with butter.
- Add matcha powder and vanilla extract; stir to combine.
- Remove pan from heat and fold cereal into the marshmallow mixture until all the cereal is covered.
- Pour rice krispie mixture into prepared pan and spread it evenly. Cool completely. Cut into squares.
- Microwave chocolate in a bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Dip rice krispe treats in melted chocolate. Cool completely on parchment paper.