This super simple smoothie bowl is packed with antioxidants and protein, has no added sweetener, and is as vibrant in color as it is in flavor!
I’ve always been a smoothie-obsessed person, but when summer comes rolling around, I seem to get more carried away than usual. Sometimes I play around with some unconventional flavors (like my sweet potato smoothie or caramelized banana smoothie or pineapple grapefruit smoothie bowl), but this one is pretty straight forward with blueberries being the main ingredient. But you know me, I can’t ever do anything without adding some kind of twist, which in this case is some lemon juice and a little bit of cottage cheese.
The combination of ingredients makes for a bowl of food that is chock full of antioxidants (thank you, blueberries), protein (yes please, greek yogurt and cottage cheese), and flavor (the magical combination of all the ingredients). That in itself makes this a winning smoothie bowl. But wait, there’s an added bonus – it’s amazingly beautiful. There are 2 things that make this smoothie bowl really pretty- yogurt swirls and flowers. The yogurt swirl is just dollops of plain greek yogurt that I just mixed in with a butter knife. And flowers make everything pretty! In all honesty, you can definitely just drink the smoothie, but making it pretty just makes it extra special.
This recipe makes one pretty large bowl, and I ate it all myself, but it’s actually enough for 2 snack servings (aka regular people servings). Oh one random thing, I recommend eating/drinking this immediately (don’t make it the night before and drink it in the morning). There’s something to do with the lemon juice and dairy – it has a curdling effect, which is not that appetizing.
I hope you treat yourself (and/or your friends if you’re feeling really nice) with this smoothie bowl! Hugs & kisses and all my best wishes!
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese* (see note)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Optional: sweetener (honey, agave, sugar, medjool date, etc)
- Toppings - blueberries, yogurt, flowers
- Put blueberries, yogurt, cottage cheese and lemon juice in blender. Blend until smooth. Add a splash of water or milk if necessary. Taste and add sweetener to taste if desired.
- Make your smoothie beautiful! Swirl some plain yogurt around the smoothie bowl, and add extra blueberries and flowers as desired.
- Enjoy immediately!
- If you're not feeling that adventurous, you can use 1 cup of yogurt instead of 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese